Search

I Have Changed My Attitude..

Posted by: Venk / Category:


Two ODI centuries in 19 matches and it's rather evident that Virat Kohli has grabbed every opportunity that has come his way, but the young batsman says he will take one step at a time and not think of too far ahead to keep pressure at bay.

Addressing the media at the post match press conference after he helped India beat Bangladesh by six wickets in a tri-series match with an unbeaten 102, Kohli said he is still under pressure whenever he goes to out bat.

"Pressure is there as I am in the early stage of my career. I want to grab every opportunity that comes my way. I got a lot of confidence from the century I scored against Sri Lanka in Kolkata last month. I am in a great form and I want to continue my form but at the same time I don't want to put myself under pressure by setting goals and targets," he said.

"I could not score much in the first match (of the tri-series) and I came out late in the innings in the second match. So I am happy that I scored a century today," said Kohli, the man of the match and tournament top scorer with 279 runs.

He said the Emerging Players' Tournament last year in Australia had done a lot of good in his confidence and made him a better player.

"I did not change much in my technique of batting. But the Emerging Players' Tournament in Australia gave me a lot of confidence. That changed my career," said the right-handed batsman who led India to Under-19 World Cup triumph in 2008.

The temperamental batsman, who is considered to carry some attitude, accepted that he committed mistakes and was trying to rectify them by just concentrating on the game.

"Everybody is entitled to have his or her opinions (that I have attitudinal issues). I made mistakes and I have accepted it and am trying to rectify myself. I just want to concentrate on cricket and not think of any other things," he said.

Asked if he now dreams of staking a claim for a Test spot, Kohli said, "Getting a Test spot is any cricketer's dream. I want to make the most out of my current good form. But I don't want to think too far ahead. I will take one step at a time."

Meanwhile, the team's administrative manager Arshad Ayub tried to clear the air on Virender Sehwag who has not been sighted with the team during practice and in dressing room saying that the dashing opener is likely to play in the final against Sri Lanka on Wednesday.

"A lot has been made out of Sehwag. He is all well and fine without any injury and illness. Hopefully he will be back in the playing XI in the final," he said.

Bangladesh captain Shakib Al Hasan said, by playing against India in the Test series starting in Chittagong on January 17, his players can learn a lot.

"India are much ahead of us. They are the world number one side and we are number nine. There are so many things we can learn from them. We will give our best shot in the Test series and see how it goes," he said.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ad Vert